Monday, October 19, 2015

There Is Light In The Darkness

Where do I begin? In the year since I last posted, life has taken quite a turn. Cancer has really messed with me: 1. Lymphedema and cancer in the lymph nodes involving my left arm have caused me to become paralyzed basically from my elbow down to fingertips. I am unable to move any part of my hand. Try not using your arm for an hour and realize just how much we take the simplest things for granted. Try opening a can, putting on a shirt, driving, giving a good hug . . . 2. Many failed treatments are leaving me with fewer and fewer options. Every chemotherapy and clinical trial drugs have different side effects to get used to. It takes the body a while to adjust. Then, just when you think you've got a handle on it, scans show growth and it is time to move on to the next drug. 3. Being told I shouldn't go back to work due to the cancer drug effects, constant changes, and amount of pain medication. This has been devastating. I love my career. I love the students I teach. And I love my colleagues. Sitting home when I know I should be at work is beyond difficult. 4. Here's the kicker . . . being told you probably have about six months to a year before cancer takes over. This has obviously been the hardest pill to swallow (no pun intended). It is news that is undigestible. This news keeps me from functioning normally because I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing. How is one supposed to act? It is surreal to live in a world where everyone is going about his life normally while my life has become completely abnormal. So I've done the obvious: organized pictures, documented all the usernames and passwords, caught up on letters to Bob and Ethan, written instructions on things only a mother would know for Bob, cried a lot, prayed even more. So this is where I've been. But make no mistake, I have not given up. I truly have faith that God will intervene. My son recently asked why God hasn't answered our prayers about getting rid of my cancer. This one hit me hard. I told him He has answered our prayers in so many ways over the last nearly six years. He answered them in ways we never expected. We may not always understand the ways He is answering our prayers and the answer may not always be what we expect, but someday we will look back and it will make sense. We just have to keep trusting that God is in control. I see this even as other doors are opening with treatments. I will continue to see the light through the darkness while I am still here making memories with my family and friends. I simply ask for you continue to pray for me and my family. There is nothing more powerful and more comforting than knowing people are taking the time to pray for us.

14 comments:

  1. Toni..thank you for this raw and real entry. My heart breaks for you as you wrestle with the incomprehensible ....I love you. I am praying g for you. I AGREE WITH YOU that God is in control and He answers prays. I will continue to claim your heal8ng.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni..thank you for this raw and real entry. My heart breaks for you as you wrestle with the incomprehensible ....I love you. I am praying g for you. I AGREE WITH YOU that God is in control and He answers prays. I will continue to claim your heal8ng.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you.... I can only image how difficult this is for you. We are all sitting here in wonder. God is BIGGER than this. He truly is. You may not be completely healed in this world but will be healed completed in heaven. To wrap your head around this whole situation is tough. Know that we love you deeply. We are praying for you. You are one special lady. Who has taught me about faith, strength and bravery. For we walk by faith and not by sight. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray for you every night (and think about you all the time) and am so lucky to know you. Your faith and determination is beyond remarkable. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tori,

    My name is Cecilia Fitzgerald
    and I am a friend of Jenn Mullin's.
    She posted a link to your very moving post on her FaceBook Wall.
    I have 4 resources to share with you and I created a lengthy post response here in the comments just now and it was lost when I had to enter my Google password.
    If you would like to call me I can share them in a conversation, typing in this phone is difficult and I am unable to access my desktop at this moment.

    860-268-3798 call me anytime.
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a mutual friend who shared your link on her FB page. I read and Re-read your post....what I took from it was tremendous courage and strength on your part. To share, to fight, to open up about it all. I'm keeping you in my prayers and sending all the good thoughts in the world to you. There is a positivity that shines through and that is tremendous.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Toni, I am Jody & Jill's step-mom. I am not sure we have ever met, but they have shared a bit of your journey w/ me. I will be praying for you - for a miracle of healing, for physical comfort, for moments of joy. I am impressed by your candor, and I praise God for your faith. May He touch your heart in very special ways and draw you and your loved ones near to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toni,
    Thank you for your love kindness and compassion towards all of I at shaker junior high school. We have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Love and kind thoughts are with you.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Toni, I am a friend of Kristalyn's and I am in the healing ministry. I have 2 terminal cancer survivors in my healing group, both of them years past their so called "death dates". A doctor that tries to tell you he knows the timeframe in which you will depart is a liar, even if he means well. God is the only person that knows your departure date from this earth and He's not saying. And I can tell you that early death through disease is not His will for your life. What you see in the scans or in your arm right now may seem like definitive truth but it's not. It's not. The flesh is easily deceived. Real authentic truth can only be found in what God says, and He says that healing belongs to you. Believe God. Get into agreement with what He says is true. It's by the stripes of Jesus that you have been healed. Someone else here mentioned walking by faith not by sight. When you are believing the discouraging words of the doctors, the scans and the limitations in your arm and hand, those things that you can see with your eyes, then you are walking by sight and not by faith. Don't be afraid to put your FAITH to work for yourself. Express love to your peeps and say what needs to be said, but stop planning your funeral. Others will say that you are in denial but you'll have to get over that, not let it bother you. Be in denial by denying the flesh and the deceptions that flow from there. The truth of healing is in your Spirit and when you really believe it in your soul and get into agreement with it, that healing truth will spill over to your flesh and it will submit. Believe God and continue to seek Him for healing manifestation. Thank you for letting me speak boldly. It's a matter of life and death. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for you, Toni. I believe in miracles.
    Love ♡

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you, Toni. I believe in miracles.
    Love ♡

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Toni! Just a shout out to say hi and let you know how much I am thinking of you. I'm praying harder than ever before! I pray for you at night, in the mornings, during my runs, and while I'm driving. I ask (beg?) God for a miracle, anything, to take this cancer away! Your faith is strong and He is stronger. I hope that as we enter into this holiday season, that you know how many of us love you and are thinking of you, so, so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Believing in miracles Toni! Your attitude and strength are an inspiration. Our family is praying for yours. Miss you and our Northstar family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you are reading this and you are suffering from any kind of human disease God just heard your prayer,Dr Itua Herbal Center Contact,Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp:+2348149277967.
     I was so very sick when I came across someone telling story of his life on how Dr Itua gave his dead life back to her, Her Name was Achima Abelard A Germany lady.
    Dr Itua help me to cure my Bladder cancer, I take his treatment for 3 weeks and I was cured completed. He resides in west African but I order his herbal medicines through Mail which I received withing 5 days also I was instructed on how I will drink it for 3 weeks to cure which I did totally I'm well now.
    I think this Dr Itua is A GOD sent from heaven because i have heard several times that there is no cure but Dr Itua surprises me, put joy on my face.if you are suffering from,Bladder cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Multiple myeloma,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,
    Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Ovarian cancer,Hepatitis,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancerStomach cancer
    Testicular cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis. Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,,Sinus cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Chronic Disease.

    ReplyDelete