Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Rock Star? Not Me.

Tomorrow the last cycle begins: take my steroids, get my levels checked, chat with oncologist about my progress, pack my chemo bag with magazines and silly games, and pray that it's not so bad on Friday. In my head I'm thinking, "Toni, how can it be bad when it's your last one?!" But having now experienced the dreaded "cumulative effects" I was warned about in May, I have some trepidation. Seriously, my first three treatments left me feeling like a rock star! I could not believe how well I was handling it all. Sure, I had a few days where I felt drugged and unlike myself, but I would rebound quickly and look forward to getting the next one behind me. Heck, I even ran a 10k the day after my second treatment. Rock star.
But this rock star has fallen. I feel like I was misrepresenting chemo. I mean chemo is supposed to make you look thin, pale and sickly, right? But the only thing different about me was absent hair and maybe some dopey eyes from time to time. Until treatment 4. And that was nothing compared to 5, the one I have still not fully recovered from with 6 only two days away! So the face (my face) of chemo has changed. In the three weeks between treatments, my body has transformed. The "face" of chemo has changed for me over the last month. Want to know the truth about chemo? Day 1: infusion. Day 2-5: drugged feeling, need for sleep and lots of it, but muscles so sore it is difficult to get comfortable to actually enjoy the rest, inability to get out of bed or off the couch in the morning, opening eyes even hurts, interest in food dwindles as the taste of metal takes over, mouth becomes dry and unable to be refreshed, certain foods completely gross me out (dairy products and coffee), while others are a staple to nutrition (watermelon and grapes).
Day 6-17: I am not becoming sickly and thin because the steroids have made me retain water, so my complexion is plump and maybe I even look a little bit younger as my wrinkles are somewhat filled in. However, my pants don't fit because that water I am saving like a camel has appeared in my legs. My cankles have turned into thankles and feel like they could explode if I make one wrong move. The taste in my mouth, unbearable at times, have to keep brushing my teeth. Still tired, but outdoing the fatigue is the extreme muscle burning in my legs even from walking up and down stairs. Now, I have to admit, when I had my chemo class months ago I watched a video of people discussing how chemo affected them. One woman said she was winded just making the bed! I turned to my husband in shock. I could not imagine that could be possible. Even though I have not gotten winded making the bed, I understand. I totally understand.
Day 18-20: Coming around! Just starting to really taste things again. Energy level is increasing.
Day 21: Infusion 6. Yup, the last one. So, I am thrilled, elated, proud, emotional . . . and dreading the next 20 days, especially as school starts on Day 5. Can't let my students down. Gotta be "on".
Over the past several days I have thought a lot about people I have met through this chemo journey, people who have had to endure chemo a lot longer than I, people who are having setbacks, people who are facing cancer a second time. It breaks my heart. To have had chemo behind them, celebrated, had their hair grow back only to find out months later the cancer is back? Devastating. I can't complain, not out loud (well, maybe only to my husband). I've only had to endure three and a half months, six total treatments, three of which left me feeling like a rock star. I do not need that title. Chemo has humbled me. My body has given in but not my mind. I am climbing my way back each day to the woman I remember pre-diagnosis. There are so many people that go through so much more than I, so much more. My journey has been short in comparison, my effects . . . minor. And although I will be tearfully celebrating Friday, I will be taking with me the stories of every woman who filled with chairs next to me and shared the good, the bad and the ugly with me, a complete stranger, but a sister to any woman with breast cancer. Forever on my mind . . . the women who have endured and keep enduring this disease. They radiate strength. They are the rock stars.

6 comments:

  1. Toni,
    this is for you

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fpKwja0j50&feature=related

    sending hugs and prayers
    tlc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Terry!
    Such powerful, beautiful lyrics . . and a good reminder to stay focused! Hope you are doing well! I promise I will get your hat back to you. I keep forgetting to bring it to church for David to return to you. Will write myself a note on board right now! Thank you for everything!!!
    Love,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you as today (9/3) has been approaching. You ARE a rock star - just like all the other women you are sharing this journey with - even though you are too modest to admit it! :) Sending you smiles, positive, healthy vibes, and all the support I can from down my way. - Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Toni,
    I am so very proud of you, and love you very much.
    Your mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you, mom! Not enough words to thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina,
    You are so sweet!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete