Saturday, June 5, 2010

So Long, Hair

"Mom, put your wig on. You look more beautifuler with it on." He's right. For all of you liars who said "if anyone can pull it off, you can." That was a really sweet effort at making me feel better about being bald. But let's be honest ladies, none of us can really pull it off. It's ok. My new look is way better than spending one more morning in the shower holding handfuls of hair. I noticed it last Saturday, strands and strands, so to combat the fallout I went to get it shaved. However, my sweet stylist said she could not do it. She, like so many other foolish optimists, said, "but what if it doesn't fall out?" So she cut it shorter. I should have demanded she do it. I had a gut feeling it would happen before I made it back to her. Day 13-a drain full and losing by the minute. I wore my first bandanna to work to contain the mess. Day 14-handfuls. We have no clippers. I call my neighbor. She brings clippers. Some say they are very emotional when they shave their heads. I couldn't wait to get it off. I felt free from waiting. And I knew I was not going to spend one more morning in the shower holding my hair. So, I threw on my wig and went to work . . . my new hair . . . my temporary hair because the great thing about hair is it grows back.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Toni! How are the kids at school? Do they ask hair questions? You are so strong, and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and it might grown back curly ! ! ! What fun chemo curls can be. They don't last long enough and not everyone gets the but maybe you will.
    Go out and get some fun, funky, big earings, girl.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete