Saturday, January 26, 2013

In Loving Memory . . .

I took this picture almost three years ago. It was an "Adventure Friday" summer day with Ethan. The adventure of the week was hitting mom's old stomping grounds. First stop: Rosendale Elementary School to what I referred to as "The Most Awesome Wooden Playground ever!" Only, to my surprise, upon turning into the school, it was gone. Major letdown. However, my disappointment was quickly replaced with joy at what stood in its place . . . The Awesomest Playground EVER! We both gasped at the most incredible display to ever grace school grounds! Ethan speedily ran ahead to sample the mini Disney World. My feet were greeted by a brick walkway with various names of families who probably donated large sums of money to build this wonderland. One name, however, stood out. Joan Keating. Not just Joan Keating, but "In Loving Memory" of her. Instantly, a wave of sadness soared through my body and my mind flashed back. 1982: As an awkward 7th grader with large circular-framed, tinted glasses that donned my initials in the lower left-hand corner, I decided to give Pop Warner cheerleading a try. I remember being in awe when three older high school girls walked in to help coach this Junior Midget. Joan Keating was one of those girls. Smiley. Peppy. Sweet. Vibrant. Beautiful. Joan Keating was the cheerleader I hoped to be when I got to high school. Only, I did not continue to pursue cheerleading after that year. I was bad at it. But Joan Keating left an impression on me. When I was a freshman, she was a senior, and I was still in awe. I never "knew" her, but when I saw that brick on the walkway I "felt" her. I took the picture. I felt the need to know what happened to her, so I called some high school friends. I found out she died of cancer. A sad realization. It stuck with me. Just last week I came across this picture again and, I don't know why, but I felt a need to find out more. I googled her and found her obituary. She died of breast cancer. She left behind a husband, four children and a huge family ten years ago. She fought hard, no doubt with the spirit of world class cheerleader. In loving memory of a fellow Niskayuna Silver Warrior I will not soon forget.

3 comments:

  1. Toni, thank you so much for mentioning my sister Joanie. Although admittedly I am a bit biased, she grew up to be a wonderful woman, so fun and full of life, and had 4 beautiful kids and a husband that adored her (not to mention 2 brothers and 3 sisters who felt the same way). Joanie loved family and friends and wonderful food--she just loved life and it showed wherever she went. I can't begin to tell you how much your comments mean to me and to my family--it is so nice hearing about how someone we loved so much has affected the lives of others. Toni--I'm not surprised you felt her when you saw the brick. I think that's her way of saying she is there for you and wants to help you with your struggle. She totally understands and is in a place where she can help. If there's one thing I know about my sister--I'm sure she has a lot of friends in Heaven that she will get to help as well! I want you to know that I will be praying for you and I will ask my family to do the same. Thank you again for mentioning my sister and may God bless you and your family. -Jim Keating

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,
    I am sitting at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute waiting for my next appointment touched and teary from your words. Thank you for your response. I believe God had put Joanie on my heart for a reason, and it is comforting to picture her in Heaven rallying her friends for me.
    I have read about her home in Scotia for terminally ill people and it just further solidifies my original impression of your loving sister so many years ago.
    Thank you for your prayers and for reaching out!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are reading this and you are suffering from any kind of human disease God just heard your prayer,Dr Itua Herbal Center Contact,Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp:+2348149277967.
     I was so very sick when I came across someone telling story of his life on how Dr Itua gave his dead life back to her, Her Name was Achima Abelard A Germany lady.
    Dr Itua help me to cure my Bladder cancer, I take his treatment for 3 weeks and I was cured completed. He resides in west African but I order his herbal medicines through Mail which I received withing 5 days also I was instructed on how I will drink it for 3 weeks to cure which I did totally I'm well now.
    I think this Dr Itua is A GOD sent from heaven because i have heard several times that there is no cure but Dr Itua surprises me, put joy on my face.if you are suffering from,Bladder cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Multiple myeloma,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,
    Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Ovarian cancer,Hepatitis,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancerStomach cancer
    Testicular cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis. Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,,Sinus cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Chronic Disease.

    ReplyDelete