Saturday, May 8, 2010

Just An Accessory

When the door closed to the wig room of the Jean Paul Salon and the "wig lady" said, "So why are you here?" my only response was to cry. I am not even sure why. Maybe mostly because I felt the closing of the door symbolized the end of my femininity for a while. On the other side of that door were women getting their beautiful hair washed, cut, colored and styled, so many of the things that make us feel girly. On my side of the door, girly was about to be stripped away by synthetic hair. Thankfully, I wasn't in there long before my girlfriends showed up and turned that room into a celebration of synthetic (except for the one that looked like a mullet). That little room became a safe place for an hour. Then the door opened and I became nervous again, passing by some long highlighted layers, a blond high ponytail, a head full of curls for pre-wedding approval. By the time the stylist started cutting I knew it really didn't matter how it turned out because if it was awful, I wouldn't have to deal with it very long. By the time the stylist stopped cutting I knew it would be a while before I sat in that chair again. Bittersweet. But when I saw the final product I felt relieved. It's not so bad. And losing it in a few weeks will not be so bad. My femininity is going to be compromised but not depleted. I don't need hair to make me feel beautiful. At the salon, my girlfriends made me feel beautiful. When I got home, my husband and son made me feel beautiful. And reading all of your comments make me feel beautiful. Hair is just an accessory. And I've got lots of accessories.

3 comments:

  1. Hair or no hair, you are beautiful! You are such an inspiration to all of us. You smile so often, laugh out loud and love all that are either in your life now or have been touched by your friendship. I think you are pretty damn amazing! Keep the blog posts coming. You inspire me and give me strength, for if this were to happen to me, that life still needs to move on and to take it on in a positive way! Thanks Toni! Hang in there, I am praying like crazy for you and thinking of you everyday!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni-

    Remember the Saturday afternoon I gave you a perm in high school!?!

    Just want you to know that I'm thinking of you and keep you in my prayers.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck yea, hair is just an embellishment. Your smile does a much better job in that department. And you aren't losing your smile, kiddo. yup, I shed a few tears in that room too but, oh well. You done good cause you can see the big picture.
    Hey, think of how quick showers will be when you don't have to shampoo or shave??? 8-)
    This is the time to have fun with big earings, funky ones, new make up, necklaces, etc. So you lose one accessory, just play up the others. And this has NOTHING to do with your feminity! or who you are. It is just a packaging detail. Hope you got the accessory that I sent your thru D&J.
    luv ya
    tlc

    ReplyDelete