Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cancer Goody Bag

On March 29, 2010 I was told on my lunch break that the lump I found in a self exam was, in fact, positive for breast cancer. I was in complete shock, as I was certain, based on the radiologist's reaction to my biopsy, that this appointment was simply going to be an inconvenience in my day. I could not believe I had to leave work to get my results, especially since I was convinced it was merely a cyst or, at most, a benign tumor. I saw my biopsy. I saw the tissue floating in the test tubes. She said, "Cancer sinks to the bottom. I am sure you do not have cancer." So, when we sat there in her dark office surrounded my breast films, I did not expect her response to mine. She said, "Are you alone?" And I got nervous. When she told me, I felt like I had been hit in the stomach with a fast moving ball I didn't see flying at me from across the gym during a dodgeball game in elementary school. I could barely hear the other words coming out of her mouth as they were all being drowned out by the word "cancer" screaming in my head. Then she did something that left me even more speechless: she handed me a goody bag. That is the best way I can describe it. This woman just told me I have breast cancer and then handed me a bag complete with: Cup of Comfort book, a journal, a candle, a piece of chocolate, and tissues. Seriously.

3 comments:

  1. Toni,
    My heart is very sad right now, but you need to stay focused, focused on the strength you will need to fight this. You are a strong woman, with a family that loves and needs you, so you have to find away, anyway, to get the support to make yourself strong to fight this evil disease. You CAN and WILL do this, please take care of yourself and use the courage to stand up tall to this monster and TAKE HIM DOWN! Much positive and healthy vibes sent your way from me to you!!!
    xoxo Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni - my heart, too, hurts to read this news. I am so sorry that you have to endure this. It is a fear that I can relate to - albeit on a different level; My Mom was diagnosed at age 38, her Mom had lymphoma(a close "cousin"), and her aunt had BC as well. You know the statistics when it comes to family history - so most years when I get my annual mammogram (which I've been getting since I was 29), I never know what I'm going to hear. I'm actually going in for a f/u one today - so I'll be thinking of you and fighting your fight right along with you. Please know that strong women - like yourself and my mom - can fight this and WIN BIG!!! (my mom has been cancer free for 30 years, thank God!). I will be sending positive vibes your way....
    - Gina (Basey)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni,
    I am so sorry to hear your news. I know you can beat this and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers until I hear that you are healed!!
    Love the blog and I am shocked about the goody bag, seriously that is just wrong. Now a goody bag when you are healed that would be awesome! :) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete