Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dear hair, I owe you an apology.

Countless times I have left the salon thinking my hair didn't quite come out as I expected. It's been too blond, too dark, too short, too layer-y, too poofy, too "something". In fact, on Friday, one day after my lumpectomy, I found myself sitting in the chair getting my roots done because I figured if I was going to have cancer, I sure better look my best. Let's be honest, even though it never looks quite right, it's a fabulous accessory and I'd like to keep it around. But as I sat in that chair, it dawned on me that I might be losing the hair I have so easily cursed some mornings when I am desperately trying to do "something" with it. No question I have even uttered these words: "I hate my hair!"
Dear hair, I owe you an apology.
Even though I will not know for a few days whether or not I will undergo chemotherapy, I know the side effects. I will miss this hair and our love/hate relationship, but hair grows back. If it increases my chance that cancer will not, then so long hair.

5 comments:

  1. So long hair! Well said Toni! It's amazing what we find that "matters" when we are presented with a life threatening illness. We find what matters the most, not the hair, nor the clothes or the perfect figure, it's about our relationships and those are what matter the most. If you lose your hair, you haven't lost yourself or the battle, you simply have paved the path for a life worth living...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try to think of it as a fresh start - that's really what it is, after all!! You'll still be gorgeous, regardless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni, With or without hair you are an amazing beautiful wonderful woman. You will make us all want to wear cool scarfs and be just like you in so many ways. And it really is ok to hate your hair every now and then. It shows you are human.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni, as everyone else has said,you are beautiful with or without your hair. We love you for who you are, and what you bring to every conversation, every situation, every giggle, every smile...

    ReplyDelete